Do tanning beds give you skin cancer due to UV radiation?

Do tanning beds ACTUALLY give you skin cancer? I read that its more XXXXXXX to XXXXXXX outside than inside because the UV rays are controlled in a tanning bed. Also, I've gone tanning once and it really cleared up my eczema!
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 33 minutes later
Hi there,

Thank you for posting your question with XXXXXXX I will do my best to help you.

Both sunlight and tanning beds increase the risk of malignant melanoma and all the other skin cancers. Direct sunlight is worse than short spells in a sun bed. The real no-no is getting a bad sunburn or chronic unprotected sun exposure over a lifetime.

If you find that a short spell on a sun bed helps clear up your eczema, then probably the risk / benefit ratio makes sense. Just be sensible.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have any more questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne     .