Do steroids really increase height?

What steroids make a person really really big? Like, I've heard of nandrolone, stanozolol, testosterone, trenbolone, oxandrolone.... Which ones make you, you know, really big? Sheer size? Which ones dont?
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 59 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Steroids are classified as mineralocorticoids and glucocorticoids.

Also Anabolic steroids are the ones which make you big. Testesterone and dihydrotestosterone are the natural anabolic steroids in the body. They increase protein synthesis within cells which results in the build-up of cellular tissue (anabolism) especially in muscles.

Synthetic anabolic steroids are the ones which are taken externally and mimic the effects of steroid in the body. They make the muscles to grow large by increasing protein synthesis in the body.

Nandrolone ,testesterone (injectable), methyltesterone(oral), oxandrolone ,stanozolol ,trenbolone are all anabolic steroids that is they increase the body mass and muscle size.

All have potential side effects like liver toxicity and increased growth of androgen-sensitive hair (pubic, beard, chest, and limb hair), increased vocal cord size, deepening the voice, increased libido, suppression of natural sex hormones, and impaired production of sperm.

Oxandrolone has less hepatotoxic effects and is the preferred drug used for bodybuilding.

On the contrary if you wanted to know about increase in height, then none of the above have much effects on the height. Infact at the age of 31, no other medications help.

Hope I answered your query. If you need any further clarification do let me know.