Do steroids cause lumps in the armpit?

ENT Specialist
hello i hope you can help. my daughter suffers from throat infections and will be getting her tonsils out when she is 7. over the last year since starting mainstream school she has had 2 occasions when she has had viral wheeze. last tuesay she finished a 3 day course of steriods. she is fine in herself eating drinking, with lots of energy . but today i seen a little lump under her right arm in the armpit? will this be from the steriods? or from being poorly? 3 weeks ago she did have septic tonsilitits and had antibotics as well. please help as am worried sick
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later

Do not worry, we are here to help you out. First of all, I do not understand why is the tonsillectomy posted at the age of seven? Regarding your main query, the swelling in the arm pit could be a lymph node (glands) which has popped out because of the infection in the surrounding area. A mere folliculitis of the hair follicle can lead to swelling of the lymph node. Steroids cannot give rise to lymph node swelling. So, do not bother about that.

You just need to keep an eye over this swelling and also look for any other similar swellings in the other arm pit and over the shoulders, if so, then report it to your doctor. It could be a blood related problem.

Regarding prevention of recurrent tonsil infection, encourage your child to consume plenty of warm water, fresh fruits and vegetables. Also, avoid carbonated drinks, chilled and greasy food during the episodes of infection.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon