Do seizures cause brain damage?

Nov 2013

Do Seizures cause brain damage? My friend had three last week, and feels like she is in a fog. She can't remember them, and is having difficulty processing information in just a casual conversation. Is that a common side-effect and is it temporary or permanent? She has never had seizures before these.
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
First of all, let me reassure you that seizures do not lead to any permanent brain damage and your friend would be fine soon.

After seizures, people remain confused for a variable period of time, this period is called as post-ictal state. During this period, they may have memory impairment and confusion. Normally, this is over in a day, sometimes it can last for a few weeks also.

It improves on its own without any treatment.

Right now, important point is to start anti-epileptic drugs to prevent seizures in the future (I am sure it has been started).

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist