Do red peeling bumps near the breasts occur normally during menstrual cycles ?

I had a red, peeling bump at the edge of my right aereola about a month ago. It didn't hurt and it peeled away and left a white scar about two weeks later. I now have a red peeling bump on my left breast, also at the edge of my aereola.
at about the same time that I noticed the second bump, I also noticed that one of the lymph nodes under my right arm is also sore and swollen. Both of these bumps occured during my period.
Have you ever heard of this before?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 12 minutes later

Occurrence of breast congestion and mild pain are common during periods. Some people have adenomyosis which can form a lump in the breast during periods.

Your features are however different from these common conditions.

The lymph nodes which are present under the arm usually drain the areas of the upper limb (Arm) as well as the breast. The fact that there is enlargement of lymph nodes under the arm suggests that, there is infection in and around the breast. Your symptoms of reddish peeling also suggest some infection of the skin around the areola. Hence possibility of infection needs to be ruled out.

Areolar Eczema is one the common condition which can present like this and can get infected.

A careful examination the area can give us a better idea of the exact nature of your condition. I encourage you to consult a doctor. You may need to take antibiotics and analgesics to cover for the infection.

Hope my answer is adequate and helpful. Should you have any other other query, I will be available to answer it.

Thanks once again and regards

Dr Kiran