Do presence of caged birds cause danger for kidney transplantation patient ?

General Surgeon
Question
Hello,i need to ask about pets and kidney transplantation patient?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later
Hi

The doctors here can answer questions about humans. I do not think there are any vets to answer about pets.

What do you want to know about kidney transplant specifically? I can answer you.

Kidney transplant is increasing & its demand is also increasing day by day. It can be from living donor or cadaver donor. Living donor can be brain dead or some relatives (that is blood related donor). Before renal transplant donor should be thoroughly tested & examined both genetic matching & blood group matching. HLA matching is also essential. Donor should be psychologically evaluated. Animal renal transplant is not so acceptable & common. Success of animal or pet transplant is not confirmed.Animal to animal trans plant is successful & done in certain centre in the world. Animal to human transplant is not feasible, but animal to animal renal transplant is successful.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and speedy recovery”

Follow-up: Do presence of caged birds cause danger for kidney transplantation patient ? 10 minutes later
Thank you for your answer.
My sister had an kidney transplant two months ago,she is well now..
And i am keeping caged birds in my home,is it harmful to her?She does not want to visit me.
Do i need to get rid of my birds? I have 10 and more small birds.
Thank you

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 2 hours later
Hi
Welcome to health care magic
As after renal transplant immune suppressant are given to avoid rejection of transplant.If immuno suppressant is not given chances of transplant rejection increases many fold. As immuno suppressant decreases body capacity to fight diseases.Pets in any form increases chances of opportunistic infection & routine infection .So she is right to take every possible precaution to avoid infection. As prevention is better than cure.Her wellness does not mean she can expose herself to potential infection .So you should under stand her problem in right perspective.

Disclaimer