Do persistent brown marks on leg need diagnosis ?

I have these brown marks on my leg and they have been there for a while. I would like to know if it is anything serious.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Regarding these marks on your leg can you give me a bit of history such as when you first noticed them, have they changed in size, color, contour or depth since you have been aware of them?

Also it would help me immensely if you could send a few pictures of these marks to my attention at YYYY@YYYY .

I look forward to helping you with your health concern and will get back to you after reviewing more of your history and the pictures if you are able to provide them.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Do persistent brown marks on leg need diagnosis ? 21 hours later
let me know asap
thank you for your help

respectfully yours,

hyunju park
Follow-up: Do persistent brown marks on leg need diagnosis ? 11 hours later
i sent you an email. I don't know if this is a bruise or some bug bite but it's been there for a while...and also they've been there for a month I think. I bruise easily and they tend to stay there for a while but usually bruise changes colors. In this case it's just brown spots...and they don't really hurt when i touch them. the mosquito bites faded away quite fast on other body parts so I don't think this is a mosquito bite either. Let me know please since I am in Italy, in a foreign country and I don't know what to do...
Follow-up: Do persistent brown marks on leg need diagnosis ? 10 minutes later
Also, the contour is just flat. They are not bumps. They just look like spots on my lower legs.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later

Thanks for the followup and pictures.

From what I see here this does not appear worrisome for a systemic disease.

This appears more like an allergic phenomenon or possibly an inflammation of the veins in the posterior calf. One other small possibilty is that this could be a variant of erythema nodosum which can be a sign of an autoimmune reaction.

Honestly, you would best be served by getting some screening labs done including a CBC, metabolic panel and coagulation panel. In the absence of being able to examine you this is my recommendation.

Again this does not appear worrisome but does need to be worked up.

I thank you again for submitting your query and hope my response has been reassuring and informative for you. I am available for any followup questions as well.

Dr. Galamaga.