Do multiple sex partners cause recurring yeast infections?

Question
I'm a woman in mid 30s... Within the last year I have been having two sex partners. At the same time I started having reoccuring yeast infections... like every month or so.... It never happened to me before. I also never had multiple sex partners before. I used a prescribed cream by my g-doctor and it does help every time to clear the yeast. I don't have diabetes based on my blood test result. Can my reoccuring yeast infections be a result of having multiple sex partners? Please note that my sex partners don't have yeast infection because they checked themselves for yeast infection with a doctor. Please help.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later
Hello.
Yeast is normal commensal in the genital tract, it multiplies due any stress in the body, mental or physical. Yeast infections can aggravate with co existant STD's one may have. So two partners may not be directly responsible for yeast infection but if you acquire STD's then the yeast problems increase.

Yeast infections in female genital tract are notorious for recurrence. Once you contact this infection, it should be treated vigorously with oral antifungal agents.You need to take antifungal drugs orally along with antibacterial agent in order to treat any super added infection that might have been present.

Fluconazole and azithromycin are considered as considerably effective drugs. You can consult your gynaecologist for selecting the best drug for you after proper examination.

The recurrence of infection in your case is most likely due to the incomplete treatment. The local anti fungal creams are not sufficient for full cure.

You can take some general measures to avoid recurrence-
1.Avoid wearing tight underwear or other tight acrylic garments everyday. Use loose fitting cotton underwear and panties. Avoid wearing jeans, legging, panty hose every day.
2.Stay away from deodorant sanitary pads and tampons.
3.Do not remain in wet clothes for a long time.
4. You can insert tampoons dipped in yogurt into your vagina twice A DAY. Put do not leave them for long time.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.