Do i need to take I-pill each time i have unprotected sex ?

I am a 24 Years Old Married Woman, Last month I had unprotected sex with my husband at night and the following morning I had an Ipill-an emergency contraceptive pill. My periods were normal.

Yesterday Again I had encountered similar situation, I had unprotected intercourse and within few hours of having sex I took an Ipill.

Within 3 hours of taking the Ipill I had sex again by withdrawal method. My question is Do I need to follow an Ipill again or not.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 34 minutes later

No, you need not take a second i-pill for unprotected sex after 3 hours of taking the first I-pill.
But a word of caution. I-pill are not 100% protective. Sometimes there may be failures after taking I-pill too. Also being hormonal pill, there are some side-effects of I-pill. Withdrawal method is worse as far as failure rate is concerned. That is failure rate with Withdrawal Method is many times higher than I-pill.
So you should involve your husband to take a mature decision of proper family planning techniques. Taking I-pill has two problems – a very small failure rate and side-effects. It is always better to go for a planned contraceptive method. If you do not have children, you may go for barrier contraceptives like condom for your husband or diaphragm / Today for you. If you have a child and do not wish to have one for few years you may go for IUCD. You are too young for sterilization operation.

Hope this answers your query.I am available for follow ups as well.