Do i need to be treated for UTI after having sex with a person who has UTI?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
My boyfriend of just a few weeks was recently seen for his first UTI. We engaged in sexual activity twice in two days after he was abstinent for over three years and before that with the same partner for 20 years. He suggested I go to the doctor to be treated. I know I do not have a UTI. I have no symptoms. Should I go to doctor and can we continue to engage in sexual activity. He is currently on antibiotics.
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query. Detailed Answer: Well ,UTI in not the same as STD and uti is not sexually transmissed. This is infection of urinary tract usually with E.coli. It is more common in female. If this is his first UTI then he should have antibiotic course and there is no need for you to get tested. If this happens again,he should do more detailed urologic work up to rule out some underlying cause such as prostate enlargement or kidney stone. YOu can engage in sexual activity. WIsh you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards