Do i have to take thyroid medication even if I take Thyroid Performance Plus?

Question
Hi! I have been on synthroid and now armour for about 15 years.. I'm 83 years old.and have been on thyroid meds for 60 years. Do I still have to take this thyroid medication if I take Thyroid Performance Plus? I still have many hypothyroid symptoms. Thanks for any suggestions you may have. There aren't any doctors available to me that are knowledgeable enough in this area of expertise, especially with someone my age. Sincerely, XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 28 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: it does not contain thyroid hormone Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic It can be very difficult to take medication for a prolonged period of time. Thyroid performance plus is a natural supplement. It contains iodine, zinc, selenium,l tyrosine, copper, sensoril and a root extract along with other minor ingredients. It does not contain any actual thyroid hormone but it is meant to help improve thyroid hormone performance. Synthroid and armour contain replacement thyroid hormone so that they can maintain normal levels of thyroid hormone in the body. Since the supplement does not contain any thyroid hormone to maintain normal levels, it cannot be used instead of normal standard thyroid replacement medications. Your thyroid hormone levels would decrease. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions