Ask a Urologist   »  

Do i have reddish urine due to the liposuction i had?

I am currently experiencing blood on my urine - the urine is a uniform pink to reddish brown color. I had slim lipo done about two weeks ago. Could this be related? I am a 32 year old female and have had kidney stones in the past. I was taking vicodin in the beginning for the pain, but have only been taken Tylenol for the past five days. I began taking just one dose of bromelain last night and a couple pf hours later is when I first noticed this problem.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 51 minutes later

The liposuction which you have done two weeks ago is not likely to produce reddish urine. Taking tylenol and bromelain are also not likely to cause this change in the color of urine. Bromelain only reduces the wound swelling by absorbing the excess water. If you are not hydrated well after you surgery it can lead to such problems. So it may be or may not be related to the Liposuction surgery. Such complications are not directly reported as post operation complications though.

Brown or pinkish blood during urination is suggestive of bleeding in the Urinary tract or urinary tract infection. To confirm the diagnosis, you can get a gross and routine urine examination done which will show RBC, pus cells and protein in the urine.

If it is actually a urinary tract infection, then you need antibiotics to treat your problem. For symptomatic relief, you need to have plenty of fluids and do take plenty of fresh cranberry juice.

Another possible cause can be a renal or a urinary tract calculus which is lodged in the tract somewhere and due to the mucosal injury it is causing, slight bleeding is there.

For diagnosis, an ultrasound scan of lower abdomen is advisable

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.