Ask a Urologist   »  

Do i have pain in my penis due to vasocongestion?

I am a 31 year old male and have not been sexually active in a number of years. Last night I had intercourse with a new partner. I did not reach climax, causing symptoms of vasocongestion aka "blue balls". It was a few hours before I relieved the pressure manually. Noticed upon urinating shortly after sex, I am now experiencing a sharp pain in my urethra at the tip of my penis, especially when urinating. Ejaculation causes no pain. We are both sexually healthy. She was a virgin. I have no history of sexual illnesses. We used a condom. What could be causing the pain?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 23 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

Though the symptoms may cause some embarrassment, it is a very common occurance to have such symptoms of pain, engorgement and sensitivity in the testicles before and after indulging in sexual intercourse especially after some time gap or with a new partner. But there is nothing to be worried about.

The symptoms due to testicular engorgement occurs due to rush of blood, which occurs after hours of anticipation of sexual intercourse. The pain can sometimes be reffered to the penis as in your case. The symptoms will sometimes be more severe if orgasm or ejaculation is not achieved.

But most of the symptoms of throbbing discomfort or pain is transient and will subside on its own. You might wear loose fitting undergarments and a few hours of rest which will also be helpful. In some cases masturbation can help release the built up semen in the tubes and hence help to relieve the congestion and discomfort.

Ibuprofen (Advil) 400 MG taken on a as needed basis might also speedup the relief process.

There is no need to worry about STDs or other infections in your case.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to consult me again if you have additional queries

Dr Anvekar.