Do hysterectomy keep you from getting some kinds of cancer when you have a family history of cancer in women?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
do a hysterectomy keep you from getting some kinds of cancer when you have a family histor of women cancers
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Types of Hysterectomy and Cancer Detailed Answer: Hi Ms. XXXXXXX Thanks for choosing health care magic. I understand your concern about hysterectomy and family history of cancer. I would like to elaborate on types of hysterectomies and cancers which can be avoided due to them. Hysterectomy is the surgical removal of the uterus and is done only to treat various problems associated with periods, pelvic pain, tumors and other related conditions. Types of Hysterectomies: A complete or total hysterectomy removes the uterus, including the cervix. The ovaries and fallopian tubes remain. This is the most common type of hysterectomy. A partial or subtotal hysterectomy only removes the upper part of the uterus and leaves the cervix and other organs in place. A radical hysterectomy removes the uterus, the cervix, the upper part of the vagina, supporting tissues and usually the pelvic lymph nodes. This operation is usually performed to treat cancer. If one or both ovaries are removed,it is called a salpingo-oophorectomy. Depending on the extent, endometrial cancer (cancer of the lining of the uterus), cervical cancer and cancer of the ovaries or fallopian tubes may require a hysterectomy to stop it from spreading to other organs. But the decision to undergo hysterectomy should be discussed in detail with your doctor about the risks involved. I hope I have helped you with this answer. Please get back if any more clarifications. Thanks.