Do digital stimulation for bowel evacuation. Wear gloves and put xylocaine gel on finger. Noticed blood. What to do?

Dear Sir,
I do digital stimulation for bowel evacuation. I have been doing since SCI.
I use suppository and wait around 15 to 20 min before doing digital stimulation also wear gloves and put xylocaine gel on finger. Seldom have I seen blood but recently the blood quantity is more. Could you please suggest me what should I do now?

Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 29 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need a sigmoidoscopic examination.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic.

Once in a while blood because of digital stimulation is acceptable because of possible local trauma. However, as you said that now it is regularly present and even the amount is increasing, one will have to look inside with a sigmoidoscpe and decide about its cause.

Possible causes can be an ulcer, haemorrhoids (piles), inflammation of mucosa or a polyps. Sigmoidoscopy is a simple technique where in one puts an endoscope (sigmoidoscope) inside the rectum and directly looks at the mucosa to know the cause of bleeding. Any gastroenterologist in your city should be able to do it.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal