Do corn removers like Dr. Scholl's help decrease knuckle pads? Broken hand, pain when bending fingers, getting larger

Do corn removers like Dr. Scholl's help decrease knuckle pads? I broke my right hand then had issues with knuckle pads on pinkie and ring fingers of same hand after cast removed. Causes pain when I bend the fingers and seem to be getting larger after 6 months.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 25 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and suggestions.

I would actually not use this topical preparation on your hands. The component of this topical remedy can cause a significant degree of irritation of the skin and I am concerned that it might do more damage than good.

I would recommend seeking the advice of a dermatologist regarding a good moisturizing topical preparation. I suspect that with a long-term treatment of good hydration of the skin this might improve the flexibility of your fingers and decrease the level of discomfort you are experiencing.

One topical cream which comes to mind is urea-based cream such as Lac-hydrin. I often use this in some of my patients who have difficulty with thickening of the skin and certain parts of the body. I think if you are able to obtain this and use it on a daily basis for at least two or three months it might significantly impact her symptoms.

I would also certainly consider contacting a dermatologist for a full consultation and examination. There're simply no substitute for this as far as what the dermatologist might consider to help you. There are other types of procedures such as dermabrasion or laser procedures which may also benefit but I will like you to discuss this in the context of a formal consultation with a professional.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns regarding this topic please do not hesitate to ask.

Dr. Robert