Do condoms provide 100% protection against HIV?

Question
SIR,
I HAD SEX WITH A PROSTITUTE ON 28 TH MAY,2011
SHE HAS GIVEN ME CONDOM AND ROLLED IT ON MY ERECTED PENIS,I HAD ONLY VAGINAL SEX FOR 2-3 MINUTES.
I DONT KNOW THE HIV STATUS OF THAT GIRL,SHE WAS LOOKING HEALTHY AGE 20 YRS OR MORE,AND I HAD NOT SEEN ANY WARTS OR CUTS ON HER VAGINA DUE TO DIM LIGHT IN THE ROOM,
AT LAST I CANT REMEMBER BUT CONDOM WAS NOT RUPTURED,AND THERE WAS NO ANY BLOOD SPOTS OVER CONDOM.SHE HAS GIVEN ME WATER TO WASH MY HANDS,
I WAS HAVING NO STD PREVIOUSLY AND NO SORE NO CUTS ON PENIS.
BUT NOW I AM FEELING SO TENSED THAT I MIGHT GET HIV.
FOR THIS I HAD DONE MY KIT DETECTION FOR HIV ANTIBODY ON 1ST XXXXXXX WHICH WAS NEGATIVE,BUT I KNOW THAT AB TAKES TIME TO FORM.
I DONT KNOW WHAT QUALITY OF CONDOM SHE HAS GIVEN,AND HOW MUCH PROTECTION IT HAS GIVEN TO MY PENIS. IS CONDOMS 100% EFFECTIVE.
ITS 12 DAYS PASSED AND I AM SO MUCH WORRIED FOR WHAT I HAD DONE.
IF I GOT INFECTED WHAT WILL HAPPEN. NO SUCH SYMPTOMS LIKE THAT OF SORE THROAT,FEVER,AND RASHES HAS APPEARED TILL.BUT ITS NOT 2 WEEKS TOO.USUALLY MY BODY TEMP REMAINS 96.6-97.4 F
HOW MUCH PROBABILITY IS THERE THAT I CAN HAVE HIV,AND I AM JUST NOW IN WINDOW PERIOD.AND WHATS CHANCES OF HIV TRANSMISSION IN VAGINAL SEX FROM INFECTED FEMALE TO MALE,IF CONDOM FAILS.
WILL I DEVELOP ANY STD FURTHER.
HOW PROTECTED I AM AND WHAT CONFIRMATRY TEST I CAN OPT SO TO KNOW THAT I AM COMPLETELY OUT OFF DANGER, AND IN HOW MANY DAYS I CAN GO FOR THAT,HERE ONLY AB KITS ARE AVALIABLE,MOSTLY FOR IGG DETECTION NOT FOR IGM. WHATS THE AVERAGE TIME SO THAT IF ANY SUCH INFECTION HAD OCCURED.IT WILL TEST AB POSITIVE
PLEASE HELP ME
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 49 minutes later

One thing which you need to be sure of is that the condom did not rupture during the use. If the condom ruptures, there are some chances of transmission from an infected female to a male. The chances of transmission of HIV is low from females to males compared to males to females but needs to be evaluated.

For acute infection, the best way to know is to get yourself tested for HIV from any good laboratory.
You can opt for initial screening with an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) to detect antibodies to HIV-1 infection which you have already done. It is best if you repeat the test fifteen days after the exposure - in your case around 12th XXXXXXX

If it comes positive then you will have to undergo confirmatory testing with a more specific test {e.g., Western blot or, less commonly, an immunofluorescence assay (IFA)}. If these tests come positive then it confirms that you are HIV-positive and need further treatment.

If your ELISA test for antibodies - IgG is negative then you can rest assured that you are not infected.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Follow-up: Do condoms provide 100% protection against HIV? 5 hours later
thanks for your answer mam.
what is the probability that i will get infected as the condom was not ruptured and i dont know the hiv status of that pros too.How effective condom is against HIv and other Stds
will i get any STD further as incubation period of most except syphilis is passed.
please help me regarding this.
how can i confirm that i am not infected!
the kit detection test tri-dot will be confirmatory on XXXXXXX 12 or i have to go for PCR on 21st day.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Hello.

Thanks for writing back.
Condom is very effective in preventing the transmission of STDs. If you wore the condom before coming in contact with any of the vaginal secretions then you are almost 100% safe from STDs.

After passing of the incubation period if no symptoms have appeared till now then you are free from STDs for now.

The kit detection test is enough to confirm the absence of HIV infection.

Sincerely hope it will help.

Follow-up: Do condoms provide 100% protection against HIV? 53 minutes later
THANKS MADAM!
YOUR ANSWER IS SATISFACTORY AND I WILL GET MY KIT TEST ON 12TH XXXXXXX TO KNOW MY HIV STATUS,
AS YOU HAD MENTIONED CONDOM IS VERY EFFECTIVE AND CHANCE OF TRANSMISSION FROM FEMALE TO MALE IS LOWER.
I WILL NOT GO FOR PCR.
MOSTLY I WILL GET Ab KIT TEST.
IF YOU FEEL TO GIVE SOME MORE ADVISE AND TEST REGARDING THIS TO CONFIRM MYSELF NEGATIVE,PLEASE MENTION IN YOUR REPLY.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
Hello again.
Antibody kit test is enough confirmatory to be convinced that you do not have the infection. It is a specific as well as highly sensitive test used routinely for HIV.
Be careful next time.