Do any of the medicines I take can cause pigmentation problems ?

Hi doctor..I am 40...diagnosed with BP/uric acid/colostral...I have been taking BP drug(Losar and Minipress) along with some more like Zyloric,flavidon, stanlip and udiliv...Pentocid...I have stoped all excpt BP about 5 months back as i saw white patches on er lip and on neck...these patches start with lightining of sking...gradually getting fairer...after I stopped other med...the patches slowed down but have not gone...big patch in underarm shows white hair and seems complete loss of pigmentation...while others are only light skin...plz help
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later
Hello, syedaizaidi.

All the medicines that you are taking are either to reduce the raised blood pressure, or for increased cholesterol along with a liver tonic and a drug to reduce gastric acidity.

None of these drugs are likely to cause a loss of pigmentation.

Are the superficial sensations like touch or pain intact in the hypopigmented area?

You need to get the patch examined by your dermatologist to rule out any sensory disturbances that might be associated and for the specific diagnosis of your skin problem.

Medical treatment of hypopigmented patches includes psoralens and topical steroids with exposure to sunlight which can best be prescribed by your doctor.

Targeted phototherapy is both safe and effective in the treatment.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Do any of the medicines I take can cause pigmentation problems ? 2 hours later
thnx doctor...but it came only after madication...before that...there wasnt even sign of that...and since i have stopped Zyloric,flavidon, stanlip and udiliv...Pentocid...the patches are very very slow and no new one...i dont have any history in my family or extended family...i ahve been duggested a suppliment called Ginko it effective???
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

It is not necessary that there should be an association with medicines.

Still you need to rule out any sensory loss in the patches.

Ginkgo biloba is an antioxidant and an overall immune booster.

If it is vitiligo then it might help by increasing the body immunity against the loss of melanocytes.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.