Do any of medicines like Multaq, Xarelto, Diltiazem, Nexium and Zantac limit the body's ability to absorb iron?

Question
Do any of these medications limit the body's ability to absorb iron causing anemia?

1. Diltiazem
2. Multaq
3. Xarelto
4. Pravastatin Sodium
5. Carafate
6. Zyrtec
7. Benadryl
8. Nexium
9. Dexilant
10. Zantac
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 4 hours later

Yes, there are some drugs given in your list which decreases the Iron absorption from the gut.
Those are Nexium,Dexilant and Zantac.

The above mentioned three drugs reduces the iron absorption from the gut by decreasing the HCL(hydrochloric acid) production because they are ANTACIDS.

MECHANISM:- Generally the supplemental iron(that you take in form of pills) and even food stuffs also contains the iron in form of FERRIC iron. Our body gut cannot absorb the ferric form of iron, So first it need to be reduced to FERROUS form of iron to get access into the intestinal villi. ok

What these antacids do is they decreases the gastric acid production, there by ferric form cant be converted into ferrous form and halts the absorption.

So it's always better to take iron pills either in afternoon or night time and avoid being taken with antacid pills.

Hope you are better clarified about your doubt now. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Dr.SIVAYOGI

Follow-up: Do any of medicines like Multaq, Xarelto, Diltiazem, Nexium and Zantac limit the body's ability to absorb iron? 16 hours later
My wife on Friday had some sort of IV with iron in it. The fluid was a dark brown. We don't know what the medication was named. She was given a very small dosage to see if she was allergic.

It took 2 hours to run in. The hematologist sees her in 4 weeks. The nurse told us my wife would start to feel better in a week. My wife is very anemic and has trouble breathing. She uses oxygen outside and sometimes in. She has COPD.

We'll have to check on the name of the drug.

Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 11 hours later
Hello welcome back,

I am happy that you came back with some better information. The iron preperation your wife is using known as INTRAVENOUS IRON THERAPY. Generally Iron Sucrose is used intravenously to treat anaemia.

Intravenous iron therapy is not associated with any drug interactions that your wife is already using. Only ORAL iron formulations have the interactions with iron when they are taken together.

So dont worry,stick on to the treatment given by your family Physician.

regards,
Dr.SIVAYOGI.

Follow-up: Do any of medicines like Multaq, Xarelto, Diltiazem, Nexium and Zantac limit the body's ability to absorb iron? 18 hours later
Sorry for my delay. We were without our Internet for several hours and just received your reply.

Is this iron by IV something she will continue to be required as a normal requirement of medicines she takes?

She takes the Nexium, Dexalant and zantac from breakfast until bedtime, so there is no good time to take the iron pills.

She has apt with new GI doctor to help with her GERD.

Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 15 minutes later
Hi Welcome back,

The requirement of Total Iron dose (i.v) is usually calculated based on her body weight and Hb% deficiency. so if you give the body weight(in kilos)and Hb% from latest report i can say the approximate dosage of iron required.

The route of administration whether its oral or intravenous depends upon severity of anaemia,and patient compliance. It will be decided by a treating Physician after discussing with the patient.

Coming to the usage of Nexium,Dexalant and Zantac- for the dose adjustment and the frequency,you better discuss with your treating Gastroenterologist.

Follow-up: Do any of medicines like Multaq, Xarelto, Diltiazem, Nexium and Zantac limit the body's ability to absorb iron? 47 minutes later
I am retiring for this early morning. I will ponder on your comments.
I'm certain I may a few more.

Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 10 minutes later
Welcome back,

I will be happy to help you for sure. Please get back to me with reports.

Thank you
regards,
Dr.SIVAYOGI