Do afdura tab for BPH has anything to do with erection and ejaculation?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I am taking afdura tab since May 2013 after ultrasound and PSA test. The size of prostrate was 42gms and PSA value was 2.5. On the Dr advice I am taking Afdura tab. It increased urinal flow good but I find loss in sexual desire and ability and problem of early ejaculation. There is erection problem also. Yesterday's PSA report is 0.52. should I change for other medicine. Or for sexual problem would you suggest some other medicine? Pl advice.
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer: BPH, sexual problems due to afdura but reversible Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on HealthCareMagic. Afdura tablet is used for treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. (BPH). It is apparent from your history that you are suffering from BPH. A PSA level of 2.5 also favors BPH. PSA levels below 4 ng/pg is seen in normal prostates and in BPH. Afdura is a alpha blocker which releases the blockage in the bladder neck due to enlarged prostate. The drug improves the urine flow and alleviates the symptoms of hesitancy. Alpha blocker can interfere with erection and ejaculation. However, there is nothing to worry since the effects are reversible once the drug is stopped. BPH is managed by transurethral removal of prostate. Treatment with drugs is only for symptomatic relief. If you have more queries I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal
Follow-up: Do afdura tab for BPH has anything to do with erection and ejaculation? 17 hours later
Dear Sir, My second part of Query has not been answered. Dr has told me that afdura tab also shrinks the prostrate size,if medicine is continued for six to twelve months time and operation may not be required at all. I have asked as earlier whether to change medicine which may maintain flow of urine and at the same time doesnot interfere with sexual abilities or problem. From your answer it transpire that transurethral removal is must. pl advice.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 6 hours later
Brief Answer: PSA density will decide further course Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, The afdura tablets do not reduce the size of the prostate. It relaxes the bladder neck which has been compromised by enlarged prostate. Whether and when TURP (transurethral resection) is required will be decided by your PSA levels. If the PSA density continues to increase, you may require surgery else only medications will help. For the sexual dysfunction, you need to consult your doctor for change of drug. Thanks and take care Dr Shailja P Wahal