Do I still have threadworms and internal hemhorroids inspite of taking mebendazole?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
Hello, I recently had a case of threadworms, for which I took mebendazole. The symptoms cleared up i.e. the itching. At the same time I noticed blood in my stool a couple of times. A couple of weeks after taking the mebendazole I noticed a more mild form of itching inside my anus again that remains throughout the day but is most noticable in the evenings. Upon inspection I noticed that I had a small, hard lump inside my anus and veins that i can feel against my finger tips. however nothing comes out when i have bowel movements, nor does it hurt to go to the loo. Do I still have threadworms (though i have tried and found no trace of threadworms in my anus) or could i have internal hemhorroids or is this something else entirely?
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Probably you are not fully recovered from pin worm Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to HCM Probably you are not fully recovered from pin(thread)worm infection and you can also have hemorrhoids. For confirmation you need proper clinical examination and need few investigations like stool examination(routine and microscopic). You can take another course of Mebendazole after two weeks of previous intake.You should follow strict hygiene measures for up to six weeks. Treatment alone does not kill pinworm eggs.Good hygiene is the only way to prevent eggs from spreading and re-infection. You should thoroughly wash your bathroom and kitchen.You should also wash your hands regularly,particularly after going to the toilet and before mealtimes. You shouldn't scratch the affected area to prevent re-infection and reduce the risk of the infection spreading to other people. Hemorrhoids can be confirmed by clinical examination.You may need digital examination for confirmation. Mild to moderate stage are treated by increasing fiber intake,oral fluids for maintaining hydration,NSAIDs for pain relief. Surgery should be done for those who fail to improve with these measures. Constipation should be avoided and avoid straining during defecation. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Do I still have threadworms and internal hemhorroids inspite of taking mebendazole? 7 hours later
the problem is that i have followed the above measures and then taken a second dose of mebendazole but unlike the first time the symptoms haven't even stopped for even a day or two. shouldn't the treatment kill all live pin worms so itchiness should stop at least until the eggs hatch?

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Itching may persist for few more days. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back Itching may persist for few more days due to inflammatory skin reactions caused by the worms.You shouldn't worry and follow general hygienic measures.You have taken the full course and doesn't require any medication. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX