Do I need to undergo Open reduction internal fixation surgery for comminuted fracture of right clavicle ?

Male, age 55, 70 inches tall, 160 lbs. No significant medical history.

Current issue: comminuted fracture of the right clavicle. I've received twoverydifferent opinions from two orthopods.... One states that I will heal fine without any invasive measures... The other states all the reasons why ORIF is the way to go.... It has been only 5 days, and I feel pretty good. I haven't missed any work, and am nearly pain free unless I move it carelessly. How do I decide which expert advice to follow?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 38 minutes later

The line of treatment required for a fracture of clavicle depends on the site of fracture, the amount of displacement of various pieces and involvement of blood vessels or nerves.
In your case it seems that there is no vascular injury as you are not facing any difficulty for the last five days.

98% of cases of clavicle fracture heal by using an arm sling and giving rest to the arm. For pain, analgesics can be taken. A very good healing is seen in fracture clavicle in 6-8weeks without any invasive procedures with mild malunion which also becomes alright after re modelling of the bone.
My personal feeling is that you are also among the 98% patients and you can proceed with the conservative treatment.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.