Do I need to take regular calcium pills as I have heard that it is required for females?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I am 35 years old and vegetarian.
Do I required to take regular Calcium pills as I have heard after age of 30+ intake of Calcium Pills are very much required specially for females. If yes,pls suggest name and dosage.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Vitamins
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
You need not take calcium tablets as long as you are consuming a healthy diet enriched with all minerals. There is a need for calcium supplements in women after menopause (as determined by bone densitometry and serum calcium levels.
Please ensure adequate intake of milk, cheese or cottage cheese(paneer). Generally, you should be taking roughly 500 grams of dairy products ( including milk, curd, cheese and paneer) in a day to XXXXXXX your requirements.
Beans like rajmah, chana and lentils are also good sources of calcium.

Hope this helps.
Follow-up: Do I need to take regular calcium pills as I have heard that it is required for females? 14 hours later
Dear Sir
Thank you very much for reply.

Actually from last week I am feeling pain only in my right knee joint while using staircase for moving up & down. Is is due to calcium deficiency or anything else.
I am not sure whether my diet is providing me all required elements. Kindly suggest any remedy for the above.
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 4 hours later

Since it is a unilateral lesion it appears to be a local problem most probably early osteoarthritis. I would suggest you to get a plain x XXXXXXX of the affected knee joint and get it evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon. If the x XXXXXXX is normal then I would suggest you to take glucosamine capsules. This is food additive and helps in preventing degeneration of the joints.