Do I need to take antibiotics for acute epididymitis?

Apr 2014

I am a 42 year old man with acute epididymitis. do I need to take antibiotics for this? what will happen if I dont take medication? will the condition dissappear itself? Please advise. Thanks. Looking forward to your reply sincerely.
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes,you definitely require antibiotics. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Firstly its causative organism should be confirmed and then proper treatment with complete course of antibiotics should be done. There are many organisms which causes epididymitis.It is due to spread of infection from urethra,prostate or urinary bladder.Organism that causes STD like chlamydia and gonorrhoea also causes epididymitis and they need appropriate antibiotics. Causative organism can be confirmed by urine examination (routine and microscopic),urine culture and sensitivity.Sample of urine should also be taken after prostatic massage. Antibiotics are given for treating epididymitis. If it is not treated properly then complications may arise like abscess formation,atrophy of testis,infertility may develop.It will not disappear by its own. Epididymitis due to STD causing organisms require treatment of other partner also with antibiotics.Follow up investigations should also be done to see complete resolution Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX