Do I need to get a rabies vaccine after getting scratched by needle used on cat?

My cat got bit by a raccoon. She was not current on her vaccines. I got scratched by a needle that I had used to inject subcuatneous fluids into the cat. Should I continue to breastfeed my son? Do I need to get a rabies vaccine? My son has never had a bottle and is not eating solid foods yet, if at all possible I don't want to have to go and get bottles to feed him.
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: No need to stop breast feeding. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. Usually the immunity provided by a single course of vaccine lasts for 2 to 3 years. If your cat has been vaccinated in last 3 years and there was no active bleeding in the area where the needle scratched you then there is no need to stop the breast feeding or getting any new vaccinations. If there are any signs of infection in the area where the cat was bitten ,like pus,discolouration etc from the site,seek medical help immediately. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: Do I need to get a rabies vaccine after getting scratched by needle used on cat? 6 minutes later
Her last vaccine was exactly 3 years ago. Her wound is clean and healing well. The needle actually scratched the pad of my finger pretty good and it did bleed a good bit. I was reading on the CDC website that rabies is only transmitted through saliva and nervous system fluids and not through blood. Is this true?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes. No need to worry. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. It is correct that the infection spreads through saliva or nervous system fluids. The scratch of the needle will not transmit the infection. Please do not worry. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards