Do I have cancer if my lab results are abnormal?

I am 50yrs old female and had a comprehensive meta. My Alk. Phosphatase is 195. The abnormal results from the CBCw/Differential are: RBC 3.57,Hemoglobin 11.0, Hermatocrit 34.2, Platelets 665, MPV 5.8, Lymph 19 and both Mono and EO are 11 and 7. I just had a bilateral mastectomy and gallbladder removal in XXXXXXX due to a recurance of breast cancer. Could this mean I have another cancer or my liver is not working properly?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern for a malignancy but from your lab results given below, the levels of alkaline phosphatase are elevated. Hemoglobin, hematocrit and RBC count are a little low which indicates anemia which may be due to less iron in diet or recent blood loss which could have happened during surgery.

The values are not significantly decreased and intake of iron supplements and iron XXXXXXX diet will help in raising their levels.

Normal alkaline phosphotase (ALP) levels are 38-126 U/L. High levels of ALP are found in liver problems, such as hepatitis, blockage of the bile ducts (obstructive jaundice), gallstones, cirrhosis, rarely liver cancer or cancer that has spread (metastasized) to the liver from another part of the body.

To completely rule out liver cause, you need to get lives enzymes (SGOT, SGPT, gamma GT) and an ultrasound of the liver done. To rule out any cancer of liver ,alpha fetoprotein levels should be done.

Raised ALP levels can also be found in bone diseases, such as Paget's disease, osteomalacia, rickets, bone tumors or hyperparathyroidism. So your parathyroid levels, calcium levels, vitamin D levels and bone phosphorus levels should also be done.

Chances of liver not functioning properly are there but they can be ruled out only after getting the above mentioned investigations done.

A normal platelet count ranges from 150,000 to 450,000 platelets per microliter of blood. Raised levels can be found in blood loss during surgery, iron deficiency anemia, any surgery or myeloproliferative disorders.

You need to get done liver enzymes, renal function and erythrocyte sedimentation rate. If the cause for the high platelet count remains unclear, bone marrow biopsy is often undertaken.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.