Dizzy when standing, vomiting, tired. Something with my inner ear?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
for the past 3 days I get very dizzy when standing sometimes to the point of vomiting. It is has been worse in the morning and evening. I also have been extremely tired with getting more than 12 hours of sleep. I just had my period so I am ruling that out. I am now thinking something with my inner ear?
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
There are various reasons to cause dizziness, to mention a few:

1. Cervical spondylosis - giving rise to cervical vertigo
2. Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) - inner ear problem- may be an infection.
3. Neurological - arising from brain
4. Cardiac cause - improper heart rhythm
5. Gastritis – acid reflux from the stomach can cause dizziness with vomiting, this happens occasionally

The most common ENT cause for dizziness is BPPV, this is a condition of inner ear wherein there is dislodgement of the otoliths (small stone like things present in the semicircular canals of the inner ear) into the semicircular canal causing dizziness. Usually this lasts for few seconds to few minutes and it is noticed on getting up from the bed or rolling over on the bed.

The second most common cause is cervical vertigo secondary to cervical spondylosis. It so happens that the blood vessels passing through the vertebra gets compressed on turning the head/bending forward, leading to reduced supply of blood to the brain and causing dizziness.

Irregular heartbeats also known as arrhythmia can also cause dizziness because of improper blood supply to the brain.

To sum it up, you need to consult an ENT surgeon for proper examination and related investigations. The best approach is to manage the dizziness symptomatically with Betahistine (vertin), vitamin B-complex and domperidone (to reduce vomiting).

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.