Dizzy, stomach cramps, nausea, lightheaded, head injury. What is wrong with me?

I am feeling very dizzy- it comes and goes. Last Monday my stomach was cramping a little. It made me feel nauseous and I really thought I just had too much coffee to drink. Then on Tuesday I went to work but started to feel clamy and light headed kept getting worse until I vomited several times that evening. I was really tired and still felt nauseous until about 3pm on Wednesday. I was tired still but I went to work just fine on Thursday. Thursday and Friday I was fine just a little weak still I guess. On Saturday morning I woke up and went to restroom. I sat down on edge of tub for a little bit. I stood up and felt very lightheaded and then suddenly passed out. I woke up in my bathtub not knowing what happened at first. I got a bump on the back of my head that feels very sore more when I touch it though. I was seeing stars for a few minutes then I felt nauseous again and wanted to sleep. I slept for a few hours and other than being tired I thought I was fine. Then Sunday morning I woke up and the room was spinning for about 5 minutes. A little while later I was sitting down and I suddenly felt like I was falling. Most of the day I have been fine but now I'm feeling dizzy again. Any idea what's wrong with me?? I hate going to doctor especially if I'm worried over nothing. I just don't know what to do. And I want this dizzy feeling to stop. Thanks!@
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 38 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. I can understand your concern for these symptoms.
The symptoms that you have been describing can be suggestive of the following issues:
a.     Pregnancy: In females, the first thing that we need to rule out in case she has symptoms of nausea, vomiting, fatigue and dizziness is pregnancy. Although you are taking birth control pills, but pregnancy due to birth control failure should always be ruled out first of all if there is a history of any unprotected sexual intercourse. For this, I would suggest that you do a urine pregnancy test or get your serum HCG levels estimated.
b.     Anemia- This is particularly common in women of your age and occurs due to a nutritional deficiency of iron or excessive menstrual loss. This can be ruled out by doing a complete blood count
c.     Hypoglycemia or low blood sugar- This can occur particularly if you are not eating properly and stay hungry for long intervals
d.     Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) - This occurs due to a problem in the inner ear and in this condition , a person develops a sudden sensation of spinning, usually when moving the head.
e.     Another possibility is of Meniere’s disease in which dizziness is also accompanied with hearing loss, roaring in ears and tinnitus or loud ringing noises in both the ears. If you have any of these symptoms, you should consult an otorhinolaryngologist and get a complete evaluation
f.     Anxiety- While anxiety can cause a myriad of symptoms, these symptoms are often accompanied by restlessness and a fast heart beat.
g.     Cervical spine issues: Cervical spondylosis can also cause a sensation of spinning and these problems are frequently seen in people who work for long hours on the computer.
h.     If all the above possibilities are ruled out, a neurological cause needs to be ruled out using a complete examination and investigations like a computerised tomography scan or a magnetic resonance imaging scan.

I would suggest that you visit your general practitioner who can perform a complete evaluation and perform certain tests like Dix-Hallpike’s manoeuvre ( to rule out BPPV) and order certain investigations like a complete blood count and blood sugar level.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.