Dizzy, nausea, pain after drinking too much beer. Is it normal to have a long hangover?

I had a little too much beer last Friday night into Saturday Morning. I was confined to my bed most of Saturday and part of Sunday with a terrible hangover. I still feel out of it today, Monday. Dizzy, Nausea, aches and pains. Is it normal to have a hangover last this long? I generally don't drink for this reason. Sometimes I'll have 2 beers and have a lingering hangover for days. Other times i'll down 5-6 beers and feel fine the next day.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Your condition is likely to be an outcome from the Paxil drug you are on.

It is a SSRI drug used for depression and GAD related diagnoses, and has many dopaminergic and serotonergic effects on the brain to help you with depression that might offset and interact with the brain effects of alcohol or its hangover symptoms. Though you are weaning off, the effects that it has produced would linger around till a while.

My suggestion to you is to work on quitting any alcohol for sure. Make some short term and long term goals. And add exercise to your routine if you haven't. As you are already in good shape, I am sure you can be fit and up soon.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.
Follow-up: Dizzy, nausea, pain after drinking too much beer. Is it normal to have a long hangover? 22 hours later
Thanks for the reply. I feel like im slowly returning to normal. I have noticed though sometimes when I urinate, I produce urine that produces bubbles. I've seen this on many occassions, pre and post drinking alcohol. Don't know if I should be alarmed. As far as Paxil is concered, it's been very difficult trying to wean myself off. I know more than likely that im experiencing some pseudo discontinuation effects brought about by the alcohol.
Hello again,

Thanks for writing back. It is good to know that you are returning back to normal.

Bubbling in the urine is benign as long as other significant changes are seen in the urine. Watch out for signs like change in colour, odour, presence of blood etc.

Withdrawal symptoms with alcohol are common and would need help too.