Dizzy, high blood pressure, stress due to emotional trauma. Can that be the cause?

i've been very dizzy so I stopped at the store and checked my blod pressure, it read 166/98. I am under a lot of stress due to an emotional trauma. Can that be the cause? Thank you in advance for your help.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in such distressing condition.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     49 year old female
•     BP 166/98: measured once
•     Complaints of: dizziness and stress due to an emotional trauma
•     Worry related to high BP

The normal range of BP is considered below 140/90 mm hg. Your BP is higher than this. But your BP is measured only once.

Naturally BP tends to change with environmental condition, stress, activity level and metabolic rate. Measurement of BP itself is stressful during initial measurements and may lead to false high BP called as white coat hypertension (because of doctors).

So to decide if a person is hypertensive we need to monitor BP at least for few days to decide that your BP is in higher range.

High blood pressure is risk factor for cardio vascular illnesses like: stroke and heart attack. Apart from that other risk factors for cardiovascular illnesses are: smoking, drinking alcohol, obesity, increase blood cholesterol and diabetes etc.

Following measures will help you:
•     Monitor your BP. Even your BP remain high during monitoring there is no need to worry as there are very good medicines available to control it. Only you have to take them regularly.
•     Dizziness and high BP can occur because of stress. Take measure like: ventilating your problem to close friend, jogging, meditation and psychiatrist help in severe cases

Final message to you: Do not worry about BP, monitor it and work to reduce your stress.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.