Dizzy during take off in airplane, or on high-speed bike or at high altitudes. Remedy to overcome this?

ENT Specialist
i feel dizziness when ever the flight takes off , also when i go in high speed bike or go to high altitude.Please let me know the remedy to overcome this.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. The ear behind the eardrum contains an air space called the middle ear. There is a connection between the middle ear and the back of the nose known as the Eustachian Tube. This tube is normally collapsed and opens during swallowing, chewing, yawning and when the air pressure in the middle ear behind the eardrum needs to be equalized with the air pressure in the external ear canal outside the ear drum.

2. During take off and landing in air travel, at high speed and high altitude, there are changes in middle ear pressures which must be equalized through the Eustachian Tube. Dysfunction of the Eustachian Tube causes ear discomfort, sometimes pain and dizziness. Dizziness though, is less common.

3. You should get an Impedance Audiogram (I/A) done. This test measures the ability of the ear to adjust middle ear pressures when the pressure in the external ear canal is increased.

4. If your I/A is within normal limits, only steam inhalation through the nose and mouth, anti-allergic decongestants may help. Swallowing or chewing a sweet or biscuit open the tubes in most cases. (which is why they are served before takeoff) The Valsalva maneuver or the Frenzel's maneuver will help open the Eustachian Tube.

5. If your I/A s abnormal, treatment options include a trial with medication as above, myringotomy with grommet may be required. You may share the results of your I/A here for further advice.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Dizzy during take off in airplane, or on high-speed bike or at high altitudes. Remedy to overcome this? 9 hours later
i feel light headed and feel like i am going to faint .Is this due to low ear pressure?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 17 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Feeling light headed and feeling like fainting is not due to low middle ear pressure alone.

2. These symptoms would result from anxiety or orthostatic hypotension.

3. In all cases of dizziness, general health, respiratory and cardiac fitness is evaluated. You need to get the tests done (including blood pressure readings) to arrive at a diagnosis.

Awaiting your reply with the results.