Dizzy after taking sulphasalazine, have lost weight and occasionaly feel hungry

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I am 28 years old male, feel dizziness after started taking sulphazaline medication.. lost weight around 5 kg, some time feel very hungry..
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 47 minutes later

Thanks for posting your the query.

Sulphasalazine is generally a safe and first line drug used in the treatment of Arthritis to control the disease activity and related pain, swelling and stiffness.

The minor but common side effects are headaches, dizziness, nausea, diarrhoea , but these may subside in one to two weeks after starting treatment, hence the drug is continued for sometime or the dosage is reduced even if there are minor side effects. But if you get an allergic rash or worsening of your symptoms or no decrease in the side effects even after two weeks then you should consult your doctor promptly for stopping the drug and starting alternative medicine. So as of now, there is nothing worrisome.

Prednisone is a corticosteroid drug also used in Arthritis for its anti inflammatory effect, and it can have many minor side effects like gastritis, feeling hungry, weight gain, puffy face etc..
So you might be feeling hungry due to that.

The best thing would be to wait for a couple of weeks and if side effects persist then consult your doctor for dose adjustment or change of drug.

Hope I have answered your query. I'll be available for any follow up queries.