Dizzy after removal of fibroids, done blood test, BP abnormal. Should I wait to see my doctor?

healthy 43 female 5'3 117 pds, no medical problems, no meds. im 2.5 weeks p/o hyteroscopy w/removal of fibroids. Since my surgery getting very dizzy/lightheaded when standing up, continued to get worse. at my post-op 10/13/11 my BP was 85/57. always have had perfect bp until now. doc took blood work and had my husband pick me up. the blood test results came back great, was told to see my primary doc. just had fire department check it, and it 97/57. should i wait a week to see my primary?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding your concerns.

From your question it is very clear that there is some connection between the blood pressure readings what you have reported and the symptoms what you are experiencing. It would be helpful to know what your baseline blood pressure was before the procedure was performed.

With surgery and low blood pressure after surgery a consistent concern is blood loss. It appears that in your case that has been ruled out. Generally if there was blood boss you would also have some degree of abdominal discomfort or excessive pain.

The blood pressure readings what you report are sometimes normal for some people but in your case I suspect that your average blood pressure is 10 to 20 points higher than what you're reporting. This would certainly give you symptoms especially when changing positions from lying down to standing or from sitting to standing.

One possible factor could be that you may be mildly dehydrated. If you have noticed that you have not been drinking enough fluids over the last week or so this could possibly explain things. Also if your urine is especially concentrated or dark. This would also indicate that you may be low on overall fluids.

Finally another obvious consideration would be that in a postoperative state the body is in a setting of inflammation. This inflammation could also cause a drop in your blood pressure as your body continues to heal and repair from the actual surgery. This is what I suspect is most likely going on and I predict that within the next 10 to 14 days that your blood pressure will slowly recover and improve. I do not think you need to rush to the emergency room just yet unless your symptoms are somehow worsening or if you are feeling is if you're going to pass out.

I would suggest that make an appointment to see your vital signs. I would also review the bloodwork which is been done so far with your physician so that you fully understand everything which has been checked.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert