Dizzy after holding breath. Comments?

I am a 62 year old male with no known health problems. I get a physical every couple of years.
I just noticed that if I take ONE very XXXXXXX breath and HOLD it, I immediately get very dizzy and feel like I am going to pass out. A very unpleasant feeling. I've never noticed anything like this before.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 7 hours later

Thank you for posting your question.

What you describe here is normal. Once you start to hold your breath two things happen that may make you feel faint:
(1) Your blood levels of O2 starts to decline.
(2) Your blood pressure starts to drop.

Both of these are normal reactions and I do not think that you have anything to worry about.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have further concerns.