Dizziness while lying down, no headache or nausea, stuffy nose, sore throat, have GAD. What is this?

30 year old female. 5'7, weigh 145.No smoking or drinking. Before I got out of bed this morning I noticed when laying in bed it felt like the room was spinning. I was lying on my back with my head turned slightly to the left. When I stood up I was only slightly dizzy but I noticed when looking to my left slightly up my dizziness would hit again. And when bending way over and looking up I also get the dizziness. I have no other symptoms. No headaches or nausea.The first of September we had major weather changes (between hot and cold and wet) and I got some sort of head cold. For the last month my nose has been stuffy, throat has been scratchy and sore on and off and my ears (especially my right one) has been extremely itchy way down in my ear. My sinuses and my allergies have been off the charts all year long too. Any ideas what this could be and do I need to make an applointment to see my doctor soon. I have severe GAD so anything like this can easily cause me to have severe anxiety attacks if I worry to mucn about it.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 3 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:

•     30 year old female
•     Known case of generalised anxiety disorder (GAD)
•     Complaints of cold and ear complaints for one month
•     Dizziness in morning time for one month

First and most important thing in your case is that you problem probably started after common cold which is leading to scratchy and sore ear. Inside of our ear we middle ear and XXXXXXX ear. XXXXXXX ear takes part in balance of body. If inner ear is getting infected, it can lead to dizziness.

As you already have anxiety disorder which can also lead to dizziness but in your case ear problem appear to more causative although anxiety may enhance symptom of dizziness from other causes.

For treatment you should visit ENT specialist as soon as possible so that he can examine ear, nose and throat. You may need treatment with antibiotics and medicines to control dizziness.

Final message to you: ENT consultation ASAP.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Dizziness while lying down, no headache or nausea, stuffy nose, sore throat, have GAD. What is this? 56 minutes later
The dizziness was only this morning for about 3 hours only when bending and turning head a certain way and looking up. It is feeling fine now. But my allergies are acting awful. Runny nose, itchy watery eyes. Its driving me crazy. Any over the counter allergy medicine that I can take that will not make my anxiety worse, or make me jittery.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 9 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for the follow up.

For relief from these distressing symptoms you can take cetrizine 10mg once a day and paracetamol 3 times a day.

But seek consultation as soon as possible as involvement of ear cannot be ruled out.

Wish you good health.