Dizziness while lying down and changing position. What could be the reason?

This has only started this morning but I am experiencing dizziness when I look up above normal eye level. Also when I am lying down and I change from one side to another. I cannot sleep on my back, I do not have any other symptoms
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
may be due to BPPV

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Dizziness and vertigo commonly occur together. Vertigo is the feeling of movement either feeling as though the room is moving or you are moving in relation to the room.

There are different causes for dizziness and vertigo.
There are different inner ear conditions that can cause your symptoms, they are: (1) meniere's disease- this is normally associated with tinnitus and hearing loss as well
(2) vestibular neuronitis and (3) BPPV (this stands for benign positional paroxysmal vertigo)

Based on the fact that you mentioned that the dizziness is worse in certain positions, it is more likely to be BPPV. This type varies or occurs with certain positions.

To determine if this is the cause, your doctor will examine your ear and also perform certain manuevers or place you in certain positions to see if the dizziness starts.

Treatment involves the temporary use of medications and your doctor will also perform a maneuver (called epley maneuver) that should also help to correct the issues with the inner ear.

The medications used include dramamine, antivert. These are only given for a short time if at all because only mask the problem.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions