Dizziness while exposed to heat. Diagnosed with vertigo. Need to go for reassessment?

ENT Specialist
I was diagnosed with vertigo five days ago by walk in clinic physician. Starting yesterday I am having dizziness when I get warm. Standing at stove cooking, during/after a shower... Should I go back in to be reassessed?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

Vertigo is a symptom rather than a condition itself. The symptoms you have described seem to be of 'postural hypotension' rather than an ENT problem.

Symptoms of dizziness and lightheadedness when on standing up from sitting, standing for a while, hot shower or lying down can cause decrease in the blood pressure leading to a condition called postural hypotension.

Dizziness on standing in front of the cooking stove or in a shower could have been caused by a combination of heat, dehydration and poor air circulation. Following exposure to heat, there is dilatation of the blood vessels resulting in pooling of the blood in the lower limbs. This causes reduction of the blood flow to the brain and thus lack of oxygen to the brain. When the brain is deprived of blood, it leads to a condition called cerebral anoxia (lack of oxygen) and further leading to dizziness. Also, there is some amount of dehydration following exposure to the hot environment, which exaggerates the former condition.

I would suggest you to consult a good physician for a complete evaluation and management.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon