Dizziness, weakness, fatigue, normal BP, low pulse

My wife has suddenly exhibited dizziness,fatigue and weekness.I checked her b/p and it was normal,but her pulse rate is only 47.What can we do ??
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later

Thanks for your query,

Sudden onset of symptoms such as dizziness, weakness, fatigue etc in person, in normal situations could be be due to hypotensive states.

Please note if your wife has some important signs, including -
1. Chest pain,
2. Loss of consciousness or state of reduced responsivity
3. Pale skin color (pallor)
4. Severe prostration (Sweating), moist skin
5. Incontinence of urine or stools,
6. Decreased or no urine output
7. Low body temperature
8. Anxiety or agitation
9. Cool, clammy skin
10. Rapid breathing

Presence of such signs could indicate that she need immediate medical attention and investigation to know the cause of her symptoms.

In the absence of the above symptoms, the low heart rate (if measured during sleep or rest) could be physiological, or associated with benign positional vertigo.

If the dizziness occurs occasionally, and only in certain positions, it could be due to benign positional vertigo, and might be helped with medications like cinnarizine or meclizine.

You might consult her doctor, for an examination and tests including a EKG, echocardiogram, to rule out other causes of her low heart rate.

She might also benefit by revision of her medications for her high blood pressure (if she is taking any).

I hope this helps.

I will be available for any additional questions that you might be having.