Dizziness, vertigo, dry heaving, noise in ear. History of viral labyrinthitis. Is this a recurrence?

ENT Specialist
In Dec 2007, I was diagnosed with viral labyrinthitis that lasted for a month and a bit. They told me from the beginning that it can comeback. Now 4yrs later to date (Dec 2011), I had that same dizziness again and vertigo together with feeling sick. I only have it for 2 weeks so far and I only get the vertigo feeling when I turn my head a certain way. I didn't throw up when I got it this second time only dry heaving. I'ts not as bad as the first time. I guess it's mild this time. I also get that annoying thing in my ear where it's like someone suddenly covered my ear for a second or two then that high pitch sound that also last a second or two, (5 seconds max) then it's gone. I don't always get it, just 3- 4 times a week and it spreads over the week. I usually get it in my left ear and once or twice in my right. Other than that, I'm ok. All I want is to make sure that it's the labyrinthitis recurring. Could someone pls tell me? Thank you
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 39 minutes later

Viral labyrinthitis is an inner ear condition wherein there is an inflammation of the inner ear, and a sort of vestibular dysfunction. If your vertigo was preceded with an viral labyrinthitis.

If the vertigo is not preceded by an upper respiratory tract infection, then it is less likely to be a viral labyrinthitis and in that situation the other causes with similar symptoms have to be ruled out. The other causes could be either Meneire's disease or Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV).

Only with few physical examination and certain clinical tests, the exact cause can be found out.

I would suggest you to consult a good ENT specialist for a thorough evaluation and further management.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Dizziness, vertigo, dry heaving, noise in ear. History of viral labyrinthitis. Is this a recurrence? 3 hours later
After the vertigo, it was followed by cold and cough although it went away after 2-3 days (I still have some cold and occasional phlegmy cough but not as persistent as before). I just don't want to wait hours in a queue at my GP clinic only to tell me what I already know. I also hear popping on my ears whenever I swallow or yawn like when you just got out of a long plane ride.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later

Thanks for writing back

In this case, it could be a recurrent attack of viral labyrinthitis itself, so you need to take appropriate medicines to get rid of the vertigo will also subside.

The ear popping is because of the opening of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear), which tends to get blocked during an attack of cold.

I would suggest you to drink plenty of warm water, do steam inhalation; avoid coffee and chilled beverages. Also, you need to take antihistaminic , a mucolytic (such as bromhexine or ambroxol), betahistine 3 times a day to control vertigo and saline nasal spray for reduction of the cold and Eustachian tube block.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon