Dizziness or loss of balance when getting up from bed or chair. Condition worse in the morning.

I have pretty severe dizziness or loss of balance. Especially when I get up from bed or from a chair.
It is worse in the morning but does last all day.I have had this for the last two weeks.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Considering your age there are various reasons to cause dizziness, to mention a few:
1. Cervical spondylosis - giving rise to cervical vertigo
2. Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) - inner ear problem
3. Neurological - arising from brain
4. Cardiac cause - improper heart rhythm
5. Gastritis – acid reflux from the stomach can cause dizziness with vomiting, this happens occasionally

The most common ENT cause for dizziness is BPPV, this is a condition of inner ear wherein there is dislodgement of the otoliths (small stone like things present in the semicircular canals of the inner ear) into the semicircular canal causing dizziness. Usually this lasts for few seconds to few minutes and it is noticed on getting up from the bed or rolling over on the bed.

The second most common cause is cervical vertigo secondary to cervical spondylosis. It so happens that the blood vessels passing through the vertebra gets compressed on turning the head/bending forward, leading to reduced supply of blood to the brain and causing dizziness.

Irregular heartbeats also known as arrhythmia can also cause dizziness because of improper blood supply to the brain.

To sum it up, any of these above causes could be inducing dizziness and performing physical tests to rule out the BPPV or Neurological causes (related to the brain and the nerves) can help in diagnosis.
Usually the best approach is to manage the dizziness symptomatically with Betahistine (vertin), vitamin B-complex and domperidone (to reduce vomiting).
You can get the appropriate medicines prescribed from an ENT specialist after physical examination and appropriate investigations.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Follow-up: Dizziness or loss of balance when getting up from bed or chair. Condition worse in the morning. 1 hour later
My dizziness lasts most of the day some days.
Other days it only lasts getting up and shortly after.
Do I just let this wear out itself?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Some types of vertigo are self limiting , but I would suggest you to consult a ENT specialist and rule out inner ear involvement or any other specific cause for the same.The specialist can also provide you medication helping you to have symptom free days.

Wish you good health.