Dizziness, no bowel control, vomiting, taken Prednisone, had ulcerative colitis. Oxandrolone a long term alternative?

Hello, I have a mild to severe case of ulcer colitis for 3 years now. I recently have gone into my worst phase where Ive dropped almost 15 lbs and am very weak. I get dizzy easily, my bowel control is almost non existent and now Im starting to throw up almost everything I eat. My best experience with drugs so far was taking presnidone and tapering off but I know I cant do that forever. Is oxandrolone a solid long term alternative that I can take to start having a normal life again? My wife and I are having a child in about 6 months and I don't feel like I can be a good father when I am constantly fatigued and sick. I am also considering surgery at this point as I really don't see any alternative. I feel like I have tried everything on both the Western and Eastern medicine side. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

I can understand your distress. This is really a distressing situation for you.In severe ulcerative colitis, immunomodualtory drugs are used. It is good that you are getting relieved with oral steroids. You can restart oral steroids or discuss other options like cyclosporine, azathioprine, etc with your gastroenterologist. Surgery is the last option for refractory cases who do not respond on intravenous steroids.

You can also try some dietary modifications like -
Avoid fresh fruit, caffeine, carbonated drinks, high fructose corn syrup and sorbitol-containing foods.
Get a lactose breath hydrogen test done to rule out lactose intolerance.
If nothing works then rest assured that surgery is almost curative in most of the cases. It is best to get yourself treated properly instead of compromising your quality of life.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Dizziness, no bowel control, vomiting, taken Prednisone, had ulcerative colitis. Oxandrolone a long term alternative? 47 hours later
Thank you for your response doctor. I am not ready for surgery but have researched it a bit because I do think it is a viable option for me. Is there a surgery for colitis where they only remove a part of the colon, not the entire colon. I did a colonscopy a year ago and it showed that only the lower part of one side of my colon is affected. I rather not take out my whole colon if possible so was wondering if that surgery is plausible.
Also what kind of down time am I looking at after surgery? I do have a job and child coming into the world and can't be out of commission for too long.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

The extent of colon that needs to be removed is the operating surgeon's decision according to the extent of the spread of the disease.

The time when you will have to consider a surgical option depends on the severity of the symptoms and your responsiveness to the immunomodulatory drugs.

You need to discuss these in detail with your treating surgeon.

Hope my answer is adequate and useful.

Wishing you an early recovery.