Dizziness, nausea, headache, ticking sound, light nose congestion, depression

Hi-I've been having tightness on right side of face accompanied by a feeling of dizziness and nausea, particularly when I lie on right side while sleeping. Also very fatigued going up the stairs. While at my desk at work, if I feel the tightness(dull headache) on right side of head, sort of light a congestion but no runny nose, I begin to feel dizzy and nauseaus as well. At times I have this same tight feeling on the side of abdomen accompanied by chills. Seems worse on humid days but can occur anytime, particularly at night. Shortly after I begin to feel tightness on side of head, I hear a short tick sound and then dizziness onset. I do feel as if it's sinus related since I feel some "draining" movement in my head preceding the above symptoms. I'm very depressed about this and very shaky most of the time.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

The dizziness, nausea and lightheadedness that you are having could be due to sinus congestion. Chronically inflamed sinuses (air filled spaces in the nose) produce large amounts of mucus.

It drips down on the back of the throat (called post nasal drip) which causes constant clearing of the throat and headaches and lightheadedness due to sinus headaches. Post-nasal drip (PND) occurs when excessive mucus is produced by the sinuses and this sinus congestion can cause sinus headaches and dizziness as well.

You need to consult an ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) specialist and get investigations done. These include an evaluation of the sinuses, a chest X-ray, blood tests like ESR (Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate) and C-reactive protein, trans illumination test and may be an X-Ray sinuses and CT (Computed Tomography) sinuses.

Till that time, inhale plenty of steam or use a humidifier. Eat small nutritious meals at frequent intervals instead of a heavy single meal. Exercise frequently and take your dinner atleast 2 hrs prior to bedtime.

Also raise the head end of the bed by 2 blocks. The golden rule for chronic sinus congestion is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the build up of mucus in your nose. This will reduce the dizziness and nausea. So do it 2-3 times a day.

Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and use over-the-counter throat lozenges. Sucking hard candies and ginger lemon tea would also help in opening the sinus congestion.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Follow-up: Dizziness, nausea, headache, ticking sound, light nose congestion, depression 39 minutes later
Is there a reason for the occasional ticking sound on the same side in ear?
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 59 minutes later

Thanks again..

Eustachian tube blockage can cause ticking sound in the ear and is fairly common in sinus infections and post nasal drip.

For each ear, eustachian tube runs from the middle ear to the back of the throat and when this tube is blocked then it may cause fluid build up in ear and a feeling of fullness in the ears and ticking sound in the ear.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you good health.