Dizziness, loss of concentration, nimbleness in arms. Developed tinnitus. CT scan, electrolyte blood work came normal. Is it MS?

Nov 2013

Early January I went out shooting and I didn't have my plugs in as well as they could and I developed Tinnitus. I've been under alot of stress since then. One night I was sort of having a panic attack and I felt a "shoot" go through my right side. Since then I've been having a sore arm, not as nimble hand and pins and needle feeling.

This as spread now to my lower back so it aches and there's sort of an inflammation feeling as well. Now, recently, I have a really bad case of "brain fog" - I feel dizzy, loss of concentration, like I'm under the effects of alcohol.

I'm really afraid I have MS. I went to the ER and they did a CT Scan which they said everything was ok as well as electrolyte blood work. I'm at a loss of what's going on.
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that there are little chances of you having MS, based on your symptoms.

It is possible that your symptoms are related to disc disease of cervical and lumbar region, coupled with panic/anxiety.

In addition, blood test.

Normal CT scan is a good news, as MS findings can be seen on the CT scan too.

If symptoms persist, you should undergo MRI scan of brain and spine.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow-up: Dizziness, loss of concentration, nimbleness in arms. Developed tinnitus. CT scan, electrolyte blood work came normal. Is it MS? 21 hours later
Thanks for your answer.

How long can stress related issues last? It's been about five days now and I still am getting dizzy, and have a hard time concentrating/focusing.

I am also scheduled to get an EMG done here, too. If it is disk disease or something related in the spine, would that pick it up?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for getting back.

Stress-related issues may last for a week or two.

EMG could help in diagnosing radiculopathy, a condition that occurs due to disc herniation and pinching of the nerve.

Please keep me informed about the results of EMG and further progress.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)