Dizziness, losing balance, breathing problem, nasal congestion. Is it vestibular migraine or something else?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
I am 40 yrs old, last few months I am contstantly dizzy, worse when walking feel like I might loose balance, when standing still feels like I am swaying. I have breathing issues where I cant take a deep breath without yawing... I have nasal congestion feels like its blocked. My GP diganoised Vestibular Migraine do you agree with this diaganose or do you think it could be something else.
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 35 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

With the description of your symptoms, it seems you are having Vertigo.

But vestibular migraine is a variant of migraine which presents with dizziness as a predominant symptom.

Do you have any symptoms of Migraine in the past or at present?

Do you have any ear related problems?

In investigations done for this symptoms and what are the results?

This information is required to advise you in a more précised and in a better way.

Awaiting for your kind response to my questions.

Regards.

Follow-up: Dizziness, losing balance, breathing problem, nasal congestion. Is it vestibular migraine or something else? 2 hours later
yes have suffered from migraine normal ones with just headache years ago maybe like 10 or more. no ear related problems that I am aware if.. no investigations done in this area had blood tests for thyroid, chloestrol etc all good only B12 was low having injections for this..

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 14 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

As your GP said this could be Vestibular Migraine in the setting of your past history of migraine.

But other neuro related problems like vertigo to be ruled out by physical examination and investigation after consulting a Neurophysician.

Hence I advise you to consult the Neurophysician to rule out the other medical problems related to your symptoms of dizziness, feeling of imbalance and swaying.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

thanks for your information what other sort of neuro related problem's are possible. and what about the breathing the not being able to take a deep breath just normal shallow breathing in my goggle searches I cant see this is related to the migraine am i miss reading?. also assuming GP is right how long should symptoms last.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for getting back.

Other sort of neuro problems which will present with a sensation of dizziness and loss of imbalance are :

1. Vertigo

2. Ataxia

3. Peripheral sensory neuropathies

Vertigo presents with a feeling of spinning of surrounding objects and it may be due to inner ear, its supplying nerve related problems.

Ataxia may be due to some sensory neuropathies or brain like cerebellar problems.

Physical examination and investigation by a Neurophysician certainly rule out the other causes and will help to come to a conclusion.

Coming to inability to take deep breathing without yawning is not looking to be related to the migraine.

This type of breathing is usually associated with anxiety if there are no any respiratory problems like asthma.

It is very difficult to tell the duration of one's symptoms and mostly if it is due to migraine these are episodic and in between the episodes there will be no symptoms.

And I advise to take Neurophysician consultation in view of the persistence of symptoms.

Regards.