Dizziness, lightheadedness. Suspicion of inner ear problem, lump on the back of neck. What could be wrong?

hi i have been feeling really dizzy and light headed for the past couple of years the doctor put me on iron tablets and it started to get better but this year it has got worse the doctor thinks i may have an inner ear problem i keep having moments of pressure in the front of my head and it gets to the point where i have to sit down for it to go away i discovered at the begining of the year a lump on the back of my neck and it hasnt got bigger or smaller its really hard had the doctor look at it and he said its nothing to worry about unless it gets bigger im am 28 years old but feel like im 90 i just wish i would get better do you think you might know whats wrong with me?
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 7 hours later
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

Dizziness along with head pressure can occur in many inner ear problems like Vestibular Neronitis, Labyrynthitis, BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo) , Menier's disease or acute suppurative otitis media (ASOM). It can also occur in migraine, anxiety, orthostatic hypotension, anemia and stress. Some of the more serious conditions causing dizziness and pressure in head are related to brain conditions like brain abscess, brain tumors and cerebral aneurysm.

In case of BPPV, you will feel dizzy when your head position changes like when you turn over in your bed or when you sit up. In Vestibular Neuronitis, dizziness is accompanied by balance problem, nausea and vomiting. These two ear problems usually resolve on its own after some time.

Your dizziness is less likely to be due to Labyrnthitis which causes sudden hearing loss or Menier's where there will be ringing sound in ear (tinnitus). In ASOM, there will be discharge from ear.

It may not be migraine as you do not have headache or other symptoms like nausea or eye problems. If the swelling at the back of your neck is soft and movable, then it may be an enlarged lymph node and is less likely to be XXXXXXX

Since diagnosis requires physical examination, MRI and CT scan as your main symptom is dizziness and pressure in head, you need to consult a neurologist for a proper diagnosis and further course of treatment.

I hope this helps. Please address to me if you have any further concerns.