Dizziness, high BP, benign positional vertigo. Taking BP meds, ace inhibitor. Treatment for positional vertigo?

I get this dizziness or head fog on a fairly regular bases(kind of the feeling you get if you were looking cross-eyed for a period of time) . I am 53 years, 6'3" 245 a few extra pounds....I take blood pressure meds, ace inhibitor, but seem to have that pretty much in check....have been getting this dizziness for the longest time....and it just comes and goes. I seem to get it more when I am driving, and looking at objects far down the me it seems to be related more to my eyes/vision, rather than ears, etc... A number of years ago (more than 6) I had a spell of complete diziness, room spins that went on for days, the doctors attributed that to Benign positional vertigo (BPV)...and they believe that was totally unrealated to current bouts.... One curious thing that always happens when I get the dizziness is that my right eyebrow raises up noticably. My wife can also tell when Im having a bout, just by seeing my raised eyebrow....any thoughts, suggestions...thanks !
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 6 hours later

Thanks for the query

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what are going on.

From the information submitted it looks to me like probable recurrence of BPPV (Benign Postural Positional Vertigo) in you. The spinning sensation often starts suddenly, lasts few seconds to minutes and is usually triggered by moving the head like roll over in bed or tilting the head or while traveling.

Regarding the elevation of the right eye brow during the time of dizziness does not signify anything serious illness. However in the presence of vascular risk factors like HTN (Hypertension) one should always consider possibility of Stroke.

So I personally feel there is recurrence of BPPV and can be confirmed by a small bed side test called as Dix Hallpike test. If positive, most effective treatment is a procedure called "Epley's maneuver," which can move the small piece of bone-like calcium that is floating inside your inner ear. If test is negative you need to consider other possibilities and require additional investigations.

I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern and I hope you can find yourself in better health soon with the help of your Vertigo or ENT specialist. Till then you can use medications like Cinnarizine to reduce your dizziness. This is a prescription drug.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist