Dizziness, headaches, vertigo, post flight. On medication for sinus infection. ECG normal. Red itchy spots due to chicken pox or shingles?

Hi I have recently been in a short flight and was very ill on the flight. After once home I was feeling quite dizzy. I went to my gp as I had developed headaches along with the vertigo. He just told me to take something for the headaches. A few days later I was having trouble sleeping from the headaches they felt like my head was going to explode I had a pressure feeling in my head I went back to my doctor and he diagnosed me with a sinus infection and placed me on antibiodics. This has been going on for 3 weeks now since my flight the headaches have turned to a constant burning tingling sensation and I feel extremely tried and aching all over. I feel like I'm coming down with something. Tonight I went to the hospital because I was having bad pains in my sternum I had an ECG done it was fine dr at the hospital asked weather I had chicken pox before I had when I was 6 he then asked if I had ang marks or rashs develop I actually had a few red itchy spots across my stomach which I just thought were mossie bites he then said because of the tingling in my head and the rash that I might have shingles? What do you think?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Radhika 22 minutes later

You have provided me with good information.

Based on your history, the symptoms reported by you (headache, tingling sensation, tiredness, body ache with sinus infection and red itchy spots over your abdomen) can be caused by shingles. Since there is history of prior chickenpox infection, I would have to agree with your doctor, that this might be due to its reactivation – shingles.

Early symptoms of shingles include headache, sensitivity to light, and flu-like symptoms without a fever. You may then feel itching, tingling, or pain where a band, strip, or small area of rash may appear several days or weeks later. A rash can appear anywhere on the body; but is usually located on one side of the body - the left or right. The rash form blisters gradually, scab over and finally clear up over a few weeks.

This band of pain and rash is the clearest sign of shingles.

A detailed physical examination by a competent Dermatologist will confirm the condition. I encourage you to consult one for a second opinion, if you have any doubts regarding the diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.