Dizziness, headaches, nausea, heart palpitations, low thyroid. History of anxiety disorder. Causes for symptoms?

30 yo female, 5'9", 200lbs. Had a baby 5 months ago, history of generalized anxiety disorder (7 years). Recently had labs run testing thyroid, found that my levels are low (hyperthyroid)-supposed to go over these finding today. I've been trying to seperate my feeling of anxiety and other physical symptoms that I'm feeling. Lately I have feel just terrible. I'm feeling light headed, headaches, nausea, muscle weakness, cant sleep, palpatations, racing heart, at times I feel all these symptoms at one like I'm going to pass out. I know my anxiety is worked up because I'm fearing something else might be wrong. Something just feels really off and to be honest, I get scared. I've never felt this bad before. I feel like doctors write me off the minute they hear anxiety but these symptoms are so much more severe and persistent. Please help
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 6 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.
Common symptoms of anxiety disorders: anxiety, nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own wellbeing, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, headache, easy fatigability, palpitation, sleep difficulty and dry mouth. Many of your complaints may match with this.

Apart from that hypothyroidism increases the chances of having anxiety disorder and increase the severity of pre existing anxiety symptoms.

Same time you may need treatment with psychiatrist to treat your anxiety. It is not clear if you received any treatment in past. For treatment of anxiety disorder cognitive behaviour therapy and drug therapy are used.

In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect and cognitive behaviour therapy also takes weeks to show its effect.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.