Dizziness/foggy head for about a week or so now and

Question
Dizziness/foggy head for about a week or so now and have had two episodes of light ringing in ear. I have a headache, stiff neck sleepy and some congestion in my head that sometimes makes me feel slightly nauseous. One morning about a week ago I woke up to look at my alarm clock but was dizzy and couldn’t focus, I eventually regained focus but have been foggy most of the time ever since. . I did visit a online doctor yesterday would diagnosed me with sinus infection and was given antibiotics
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to problems in the inner ear.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. I think that the mentioned complaints are due to problems in the inner ear. Sensorineural degenerative changes or even certain viral infections can give rise to such presentations as you have described. The organ of hearing lies in our inner ear (vestibulocochlear apparatus) and is also associated with the sense of balance. Vestibulocochlear stabilizing agents like cinnarizine or betahistine might be needed. Please discuss with your treating physician whether they would be right for you.

I need to ask you if you have caught a cold. The diagnosis of sinusitis corroborates with this. There is a thin tube on each side connecting between the inner throat and the middle ear (Eustachian tubes). The purpose of these tubes is to equalize the air pressure inside the middle ear cavity. Mucus block of these tubes leads to pressure imbalance leading to indirectly affecting the vestibulocochlear apparatus. An audiometry needs to be done to understand the exact nature of the problem. Steam inhalation should help as water in form of vapor will reach deep inside. It would help in diluting the mucus, thus providing relief. In case of sinusitis (as diagnosed) too, steam inhalation would be of help.

Let me know if I could help further.