Dizziness, breathlessness, shoulder pain. EKG abnormal. Concerned about PR number

Hi I am 34 haven't felt well went to my dr today my pulse was 126 felt very dizzy and short of breath with left shoulder pain in my back. Did an EKG after lying down pulse was 97 but it read abnormal PR of 118 he just told me to watch it a few days and if still high come back so my concern is the PR number I don't understand it really but can this be serious
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later

The cause for your symptoms of high pulse rate can vary from simple reasons like anxiety, hyperthyroidism and anaemia to cardiac causes like a simple harmless type called as sinus tachycardia or serious type called as ventricular tachycardia etc.

What you require is thorough examination of your to find out the exact cause for it.

Since your doctor has asked you to come back again mean your ECG is normal and there is nothing to be alarmed at the moment.

Most of the time such type high pulse rates turn out to be harmless and found in healthy people free of any heart disease but it should still be probed by proper investigations, if it persists.

In the mean time just relax and calm yourself and if you feel that your symptoms persist, you can consult a cardiologist and get investigated thoroughly.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.

Best of luck
Follow-up: Dizziness, breathlessness, shoulder pain. EKG abnormal. Concerned about PR number 1 hour later
The EKG copy I have does state Abnormal that's why I was concerned. I rested this afternoon and still have some chest pain heart rate is 97 but I don't feel dizzy now. Hopefully this stops soon, chest pain comes and goes but pain in between shoulders is constant burning feeling.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 29 minutes later
If there is any abnormality in your ECG, then it becomes important to rule out any cause for it. It would be better to consult a cardiologist and get yourself evaluated properly. Many times, you find changes in ECG, which are harmless and do not have any relevance.
Since you are having symptoms, it becomes important to clear the doubt.